The Cleveland Police Museum is honored to tell the stories of our Fallen Officers on the anniversaries of the End of Watch.
After serving in the Navy during the Spanish-American War, Henry Richter was appointed to the Cleveland Police Department on February 20, 1907. In 1915, Henry had a brush with death in a famous gun battle against burglars in a house at Herrick Road and St. Clair Avenue. Henry was planning on taking an upcoming Sergeant’s exam.
Patrolman Richter was detailed to the National Refining Company gasoline station at E. 141st Street and St. Clair Avenue in anticipation of a possible robbery following a series of gas station robberies in the area.
At about 9 pm, a lone robber entered the station and commanded the attendant to open the safe and turn over the cash to him. Alerted by the attendant, Richter approached the robber. Both Patrolman Richter and the suspect emptied their guns at each other, standing only a few feet apart. The attendant was wounded, but not seriously, from stray bullets.
Patrolman Richter was taken to Glenville Hospital, where more than fifty policemen volunteered to give their blood to save Richter. Richter’s wife and five children came to the hospital from their home and stayed at his side until his death on February 27, 1925.
Richter was survived by his wife Cora and their children Walter, George, Alfred, Eleanor, and Arthur.