Skip to content

Heroes Roll Call: Patrolman William G. Brown, #711

The Cleveland Police Museum is honored to tell the stories of our Fallen Officers on the anniversaries of their End of Watch.

Cadet William Brown was appointed to the Cleveland Police Department on February 1, 1917.

Police Cadet William Brown was patrolling the downtown area that day when called to the Manual Strauss Cafe across from the new court house. The manager, Lester Strauss said a man was annoying a woman and flashed a gun when he was told to get out.

Upon arrival, Officer Brown saw a man running. The officer ordered the man to halt and was met with a hail of bullets. Several shots struck Officer Brown. Brown returned fire, striking the suspect in the right hip and left shoulder.

Badge of Patrolman William Brown, #711, EOW 9/29/1917
Patrolman Brown’s death certificate

Officer Brown was hurried to Huron Road Hospital weak from losing blood. His brother, bicycle patrolman Frank Brown heard the news and was ready to submit a blood transfusion to save his brother’s life. The next day a second blood transfusion was needed and brother Theodore Brown, also a police officer, was at the hospital prepared to give blood if needed. Hospital surgeons decided to amputate Officer Brown’s leg in order to preserve his life. Following the operation, Officer William Brown remained unconscious and died September 29, 1917.

Brown’s family lived at 373 Rudyard Road. He had one son. The funeral was held at St. Paul’s Church in Nottingham.

Posted in
Scroll To Top