Police Buildings: Ninth Precinct, 3187 W. 25th, built in 1901


Fifth Precinct building, headquarters of the 9th Precinct from 1883-1901

The Ninth Precinct was originally a part of the Fourth and Fifth Precincts.  It was created in November 1882 with boundaries that began at the corners of Franklin and Harbor, along Franklin to the city limits, along city limits to Burton Street, along Burton to Randal, to Harbor to Franklin.  With a reorganization on the Precincts in January of 1883, the Ninth Precinct established its headquarters in the Fifth Precinct building on Barber Street.  The Officers worked out of this building until 1900 when new buildings were constructed on Pearl near Barber.


As described in the magazine The Interstate  Architect and Builder, Architect E. J. Schneider created the plans for the police station and patrol barn which will be erected on Pearl Street near Barber Avenue, to take the place of the old building on Barber Avenue. 

Interstate Architect and Building, Vol 2, 1900-1901
Cuyahoga County Map, 1927-1937

“The buildings will be of fireproof construction, pressed buff brick and stone exterior finish. The station will be 36 1/2 X 73 and the barns 43X52, and both buildings will be two stories high.  They will cost in the neighborhood of $20,000.  Gravel roof, hardwood interior, patent plaster, steam heat, combination light, jail work. stable fittings, and other articles. which will make the building thoroughly up to date, are included in the specifications.”


Ninth Precinct, 1940
Ninth Precinct, 1940

The new Ninth Precinct Headquarters opened to the public on December 12th, 1901.  The “gala event” was described in the Cleveland Plain Dealer as a celebration for the South Side.  Nearly 5,000 residents were in attendance, touring the facilities, enjoying music provided by Kirks Military Band and listening to speeches from local politicians.  Ice cream, coffee and sandwiches were served on the second floor. 


“But in spite of this display of beauty, the greatest attraction of the evening was in the new patrol barn at the rear of the station.  Across one end of this building the committee has caused to be constructed a temporary bar, and here was served beer in such quantities as would make any saloon-keeper turn green with envy.”  Headlines in the Plain Dealer reflected the feeling of some residents after the event describing it “Called A Blot On City’s Record.”  The primary complaint was the serving alcohol to juveniles and the alleged soliciting of free beer and whiskey from local vendors.   Mayor Johnson called for a full investigation.

December 17, 1901 Plain Dealer

Officers at the 9th Precinct, 1915.
Theodore J. Terlaak #273 on far right.

The old precinct building on Barber was abandoned and fell into disrepair.  In May of 1903 the building was turned over to the new Division of Municipal Lighting to serve as a lighting station.

 In 1938 when Safety Director Eliot Ness established five police districts and reorganized patrol boundaries, the Ninth Precinct building was turned over to the city Recreation Department and became the home of the Russell P. Thierbach Boystown Center. The building was abandoned and demolished sometime after 1946.

Posted in